Monday 14 August 2017

Inside Mother's Heart

I feel like so much time has passed since my plane first touched down in Bali, Indonesia where I would spend 4 weeks helping out at an orphanage called Mother's Heart House. Four weeks playing with the 12 children; more like a big happy family then an orphanage.
My days consisted of bringing them to and from school on the scooter I rented for the month, doing the laundry, doing crafts with the kids, taking care of baby Ashara, and helping out around the house. My favourite times were watching Ashara sit up on her own for the first time, playing with the young ones, and watching them catch minnows on Jimbaran beach.
Jimbaran beach



One afternoon we got to go to a slum and hand out clothes and toys that the children at the orphanage had outgrown or didn't need anymore. I loved how the people in the slum shared with each other and were grateful with the little they had.







































I loved spending time with the other volunteers as well as the kids. Volunteers usually come for 8-10 weeks minimum, but they made an exception for me, for which I was very grateful. I was also grateful to be able to see more of the beautiful island of Bali. From monkeys to temples, waterfalls to rice terraces, I loved it all.
traditional Indonesian lunch (nasi goreng ayam)
rice terraces

Uluwatu Beach
wearing a sari and sash at the Uluwatu temple
returning baby turtle to the ocean at Kuta beach
on of the many monuments on the round-a-bouts
water blow at Nusa Dua beach
Balinese daily offering
Balinese dancing
monkeys in the Ubud Monkey forest









Every day was a challenge and a gift from God. Some of the challenging times were learning how to drive a scooter, driving on my scooter with 2 or 3 of the kids, the 2 times my scooter had a flat tire, getting lost countless times, and doing the trip alone. But every time I picked up my guitar and started worshiping, or went to the community meeting at the local YWAM base, or looked up at the kites flying, or read my Bible; I was reminded that God is with me always, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. God is with us. As I write this I'm listening to a favourite song of my friend Evelien and of mine; Let There Be Light by Brian & Katie Torwalt. In the song it says that he silences every fear and confusion has its final hour. His voice tears down every wall around me. Just one word from Him and I am changed.


I feel like I have been changed by Him for the better. Each experience has got me exactly to where I am at this point. A couple of days ago I attended the Global Leadership Summit for my first time. I had been wanting to go for a few years now, and so when my parents asked me a couple of months ago if I wanted to go that they would pay for me to go, I was overjoyed. It was a great opportunity to hear from great leaders from all over the world what they had learned and are still learning about leadership. After the first morning I took a walk to look at the Red river that runs through my beloved city of Winnipeg. I had many thoughts in my head. Bill Hybels; the first speaker, had challenged us to spend 15 minutes a day to read and reflect on our life; faith, leadership, and family. I realised that I had done that back in Toowoomba. Three times a week I would go on a run and sit on my favourite bench and just think and pray. It was a great time of reflection, and God made Himself known on those runs. I decided I want to continue doing that. Every morning, sit and reflect with God. To listen and believe in the dreams He has placed in my heart. To seek Him for the timing. And to obey. To forgive and ask for forgiveness. To not be governed by fear but seek after the God who's perfect love casts out all fear.





Thanks for all your prayers and support. I hope you have a great day and God bless!




No comments:

Post a Comment